The GMDSS Manual provides, in a single comprehensive publication, an explanation of the principles upon which the GMDSS is based, the radiocommunication requirements and recommendations for its implementation, the operational performance standards and technical specifications to be met by GMDSS equipment, and the procedures for and method of operation of the various radio services which form the GMDSS and the Master Plan for the GMDSS.
This e-reader file is in EBK format and requires the downloading of our free e-reader software called the 'IMO Bookshelf' to view the file. Once you have purchased this title you must go to 'My Account / Downloads' and then 'E-books, E-reader files & Subscriptions'. You will then be transferred to our Virtual Publications site where you can click on the product hyperlink and follow 3 easy steps to access your title.
For detailed instruction please copy and paste this link www.imo.org/Publications/Documents/FAQ/E-reader_instructions_page.pdf. Please be aware that the e-reader software and any purchased titles are locked to a single computer. Only 75% of the text can be printed per day and it cannot be printed as a pdf.The e-reader software is for Windows use and MAC users need to use a Windows emulator (eg Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop) in order to view the files.
The 2019 edition includes:
- A description of the development and the concepts of the GMDSS
- A description of the components of the GMDSS, the carriage requirements and the operational procedures
- Excerpts from the relevant SOLAS regulations for the GMDSS
- Supporting resolutions and circulars relevant to the GMDSS
- The IMO performance standards and related ITU-R Recommendations, including technical details of the radio equipment
- Information on promulgation of maritime safety information (MSI) and the World-Wide Navigational Warning Service
- The NAVTEX Manual (2017)
- The International SafetyNET Manual (2017) and related amendments
- Interim guidance on technical requirements for Inmarsat Fleet Safety service
- Interim Iridium SafetyCast service manual
- The current GMDSS Master Plan giving the details of the coastal infrastructure and services provided by Member States
- Extracts from the ITU-R Radio Regulations giving the radio regulatory background.
The Manual is intended for use by ship personnel, shore operators, trainers, administrations, regulators and anyone else concerned with ship communication