Sign up for our Newsletter
The IMO International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) regulate the training and certification of seafarers and forms the basis for standards of crew competence that are enforced worldwide. The Convention also regulates watchkeeping arrangements on board merchant ships, including watchkeepers’ minimum rest hours.
The fourth edition of Guidelines on the IMO STCW Convention sets out the obligations for shipping companies and includes guidance on how to ensure compliance on board.
New in this edition:
– International Code of Safety for Ships using Gases or other Low-flashpoint Fuels (IGF Code).
– International Code for Ships Operating in Polar Waters (Polar Code).
– New requirements for familiarisation training for crew on Ro-Ro Passenger Ships.
– Changes to Chapter V regarding tanker training.
– Updated guidance for crews operating dynamically positioned (DP) vessels.
This guide will help readers:
The fourth edition of Guidelines on the IMO STCW Convention has been written and designed for use by: crew, crewing managers, designated persons ashore (DPAs), Masters, personnel superintendents, recruiters, training superintendents, technical superintendents and trainers and lecturers.